Saturday, October 18, 2014

Caulfield Cup

Spring in Melbourne is synonymous with horse racing. The Melbourne Cup is the biggest event, which will take place in a few weeks and is actually a holiday. That's right...people get a random Tuesday off work for a horse race. This country is awesome. Saturday was the Caulfield Cup, another big race. We decided to go because what's not to like about dressing up, wearing a ridiculous hat, drinking, and horses? Nothing. We gathered and made some breakfast beforehand: 
Pancakes, avocados with eggs baked in the center (highly recommend these), toast and Nutella. 
Waiting for our Uber, which is my new favorite mode of transportation. 
Loving the ridiculous hats.

And here are just a lot of random pictures from the day: 
My betting tickets. I only put a few dollars on each race and won one of them, so I ended up about even, which is a success for someone who bets solely based on the horse's name. 
Proof I am old enough to gamble and drink. I suppose I should appreciate the fact that the guy who checked us in immediately sent us to the age verification booth. The day that stops happening is the day I invest in some
Botox. 
Alyssa was the big winner of the day, coming in at $8!!! 

Spring racing fashion is just as big of a deal as the races themselves. We caught the end of some sort of best-dressed competition: 

It was the best people watching ever.  We saw everything-the good, the bad and the ugly.

And then there was the downright strange. I don't know if this lady was part of some kind of bachelorette party or what...
Needless to say, it was the strangest accessory by far. 

1 comment:

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *