Monday, August 18, 2014

Melbourne Zoo

On Sunday we took the train up to the Melbourne Zoo. I had read it was the most "conventional" of the three zoos in our area, and I thought that might translate into underwhelming. False. The Melbourne Zoo is probably the best zoo I have ever been to, not counting of course the Wild Animal Safari in Springfield. That's just on another level entirely. But the Melbourne Zoo comes close. For one thing, the animals seemed much happier and more active than at any of the zoos I have been to. Most of the time, at least in my experience, you walk up to the glass and struggle to find whatever animal is in the cage, finally spotting some fluffy ball in the very top corner sleeping behind a rock. Entirely underwhelming in my opinion. That's why this zoo was so great. The animals were often sitting right next to the glass, like these monkeys:
The black one was especially entertaining, swinging around by his tail:



Here are some more random animal pictures:
Giraffe selfie! 

The elephants were my favourite. They're just so adorable. If you don't like elephant pictures/video scroll down. I may have gone a bit overboard...
If this isn't the happiest elephant on Earth...
At one point, these two started fighting, I think? I got a video of it, which is mainly interesting because of the noise the smaller elephant makes. It sounds like a tiger! People started running to see what the commotion was all about. For a second I thought we might see a legit elephant brawl, whatever that looks like, but the little one ended up walking away. How mature. 
This baby elephant was the CUTEST
I think the poor thing was struggling to get down. 

While I was snapping all these pictures of the adorable baby elephant, a menacing baby human threw her sippy cup over the railing into the grassy area of the exhibit. Shucks. Any normal person would just cut their loses, right? Wrong. The dad of this child jumped the fence and retrieved the sippy cup. WHO DOES THAT? In America, I'm pretty sure you'd get arrested for such a thing. Here's a picture of the guy in the act:
Insanity. Without a doubt the least intelligent species spotted all day. 

Moving on to the Australia wildlife!! 
Apparently koalas sleep for 20 hours a day (uh, yes please) so we were lucky to see one up and walking around! 
He did a lap and then was probably tired, so he hopped back in the tree. 
Rough life. 

And of course kangaroos! 
Feeding time! 
This guy is my idol.

One of these days I'll get a picture of a wild kangaroo, but until then, these will have to do!! Peter and I both concluded that the zoo was well worth the $30/person entrance fee! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *