Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter Weekend

We are wrapping up our first fall Easter weekend. It's kind of strange to be celebrating as the weather is getting cooler, when at home Easter has always signaled the start of spring. Anyway, the weekend started on Thursday night when I met Sylvie and Katie for dinner. It was Sylvie's last meal before the beginning of Passover, during which she can't eat certain foods (most importantly, pizza), so we obviously went for pizza at DOC in Carlton. It was one of the best margherita pizzas I've eaten here in Melbourne- I highly recommend it!
The mozzarella was insanely good. 

After dinner we hit up Pidapipo, which serves gelato that rivals Gelato Messina.
I had one scoop of raspberry swirl and one scoop of Nutella swirl with Nutella on top, of course. 

Good Friday is a public holiday in Australia, and essentially everything is closed, so Peter and I enjoyed a quiet Netflix-filled day at home. 

We decided to head out on Saturday for some brunch at Kettle Black in South Melbourne. So did approximately 10,000 other people, and we waited quite awhile to get a table. It didn't disappoint, though! Peter raved about the bacon and I can't complain about this amazing blueberry pancake dish: 
We decided to take a walk into the city after brunch and stumbled upon some form of political protest in Federation Square. Spectating protests is one of my favorite pastimes, so I insisted that we hang around for awhile. Needless to say, no one proposed any real policy changes and nothing was accomplished other than a bunch of yelling and a few scuffles. Entertaining, nonetheless. 

The main reason I found the protest so interesting was the use of horses in breaking up the two sides. As a former horse owner and lifelong horse lover it was cool to see the mounted police in action. 
A scuffle broke out in front of us at one point. 
The mounted police sweeping in on the far side of the crowd and breaking up the protest again. 
Police blocking the entrance to Fed Square. 

Once we had seen enough, we continued our walk in the city. On the way home we passed the area again and the protest was essentially over save for a few die-hards who had moved to Flinders Street Station. 
Overall, there wasn't too much drama at the protest and unfortunately we didn't see anyone get arrested or tasered. Maybe next time. 

Easter Sunday began with brunch at Katie's house. Katie and Sylvie made amazing dishes and I brought champagne because let's face it: I don't cook, and people love champagne. 
Katie starting hot cross bun french toast. 
The finished product! 
French toast, chia seed yogurt, salad, fruit and Passover-approved matzo banana pancakes made by Sylvie. So good! 

We had originally planned to dye Easter eggs but apparently that's not a thing here, so we painted Easter-themed figurines instead. Close enough.
Masterpieces. 

We wrapped up Easter Sunday with an evening church service followed by an episode of the Real Housewives of Melbourne. Totally congruent. 

The Monday after Easter is also a public holiday in Australia, but lots of stores and restaurants were open. Not that we did anything especially noteworthy. Peter went into work for a few hours and now we are making some dinner. Overall, a fabulous holiday weekend!

We hope you had a great weekend with friends and family as well. I'll leave you with my favorite meme of all time: 
Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that they don't color eggs here. Now that you mention it, I didn't see any. So cool seeing what our culture and their culture does. Looks like a great weekend. www.eatallovertheworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either until my friend went searching for an egg dyeing kit in the stores and couldn't find anything!

      Delete

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *