Monday, September 22, 2014

Eggs

After visiting the grocery store a few times, I've noticed some interesting differences between food in Australia and America. For instance, most produce seems bigger here (avocados are GIANT) and I cannot for the life of me find sticks of butter, only the block or spreadable kinds. And then there's the prices-don't get me started on that again. But this surprised me the most:
The first time I saw non-refrigerated eggs I was really confused, as it's been drilled into my head that eggs always need to be refrigerated (or else chances are good that you'll face imminent death via salmonella). Well, we have eaten a few eggs now and are happy to report we're still alive. In a strange coincidence, I came across this article the other day that solved the mystery! While Australia is listed as a country that refrigerates eggs, so far I have only seen them either in the produce section or in the bread aisle. 

On a random note, one of the only foods I have found that's cheaper than in the US is artichoke! I got two at the market the other day for .50 each. If that isn't a steal, I don't know what is.


1 comment:

  1. Good observation. I've noticed eggs refrigerated at Coles but at Aldi they're not. And I'm pretty sure at some Woolworths they're not. I never really paid any attention to it until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *