Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend

This weekend was a fun one, but HOT. Peter was in Northern Minnesota visiting his grandparents, and Ali had some friends in town. After work on Friday, I met Ali and her friends and we headed out to the bars on Rainey Street. There's a new circus-themed bar that just opened up a few months ago that we stopped at first, and then we headed to our favorite- the Container Bar, made out of old shipping containers. It was super fun but I don't know if I've ever been so hot in my life. The outdoor bar thing is great until it's ten million degrees and all you want to do is take a shower.

On Saturday, we headed to Terry Black's for dinner so Ali's out-of-town guests could try some Texas BBQ. They loved it so much they went back on Sunday! Peter is a die-hard barbecue fan/critic so he will wait in line for hours to get the best. I'm not that dedicated, and it all tastes relatively the same to me, so I love Terry Black's because the line is never THAT long. Speaking of barbecue, we went to La Barbeque last weekend, which is a much-hyped food truck.

We only waited for about an hour, but by the time we got our food the line was probably 200 people long, and I can't imagine how long the people at the end waited. There was one lady in line eating a tide-over burrito if that tells you anything!


We all concluded that it was good, as is any barbecue in Texas, but we definitely wouldn't wait for hours. 

On Sunday, I picked up our youngest sister Kathryn at the airport. If you remember from my last post, she's spending the summer with us. She has an internship at a media company and we're super excited to have another roommate for a couple months! We immediately went to the mattress store to get her a bed (she's bunking in Ali's room) and then picked up some groceries. For dinner, I took her to P. Terry's, which is probably my favorite fast-food burger chain ever. There's one just down the road from us that we frequent a bit too often. 

Monday was Memorial Day, but I had to work a half day. I met some coworkers at Mozart's Coffee, a cute coffee shop on Lake Austin, to knock out a few hours of work. We had been there once before to see the big Christmas light show they put on every year, but I had kind of forgotten about it since then. We sat outside and for once it wasn't too hot, so that was fun! I met Ali and Kathryn at the mall when I was done working and then later I picked up Peter from the airport. 

Everyone is back to work today. I snapped this picture of Kathryn before she and Ali headed out the door for work and her first day of her internship: 

That about wraps up our weekend...I hope everyone else had a great Memorial Day! 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *