Friday, October 21, 2016

San Diego

Two weekends ago, after unpacking and settling in as much as possible in Austin, Peter and I headed off to San Diego to attend his grandpa's wedding. It was a really quick trip, but neither of us had ever been there before, so we made sure to check out a few sights. In  hindsight, I wish we would have brought our real camera (aka not my iPhone), but it was packed away somewhere and that was pretty much the last thing on my mind after the move! 

We arrived on Friday afternoon and went straight to check out Torrey Pines Golf Course. Peter loves to golf (I can't for the life of me hit the ball off the tee) so he wanted to look around and grab a souvenir in the gift shop. He picked up a bag tag, which Ali saw sitting around the apartment the other day and thought was a large metal bracelet. Shows how much we know about golf, I guess!
Afterward, we checked into our hotel and then walked around downtown La Jolla, which is pretty much the cutest little city ever. Being by the water with the beautiful cliffs in view reminded us a lot of Australia and how much we miss it!
The weather was perfect the whole time we were there, which apparently is pretty typical of San Diego.

This beach had a big colony (pack? herd? IDK?) of seals living on it. They were super cute but smelled horrendous. There were people swimming with them, despite signs that warned of high bacteria levels, which was pretty repulsive. People will do anything for a good selfie, I guess. 
I wasn't sure how close you could get to the seals without being attacked, or whatever seals do, so we kept our distance. They looked nice and friendly but then a few started fighting pretty aggressively, so I decided to keep my distance. Plus, some of them were massive. Like, monster seals. Another reason not the wade into the bacteria-infested waters, if you ask me.
We got a drink at this cute rooftop bar and watched an amazing sunset before dinner. The weather, the sunset, and the scenery were all pretty idyllic.
The wedding took place on Saturday morning and was held at the beautiful Melrose Ranch in Escondido. The weather was perfect, of course, but you could definitely feel the difference in temperature between the coast and inland. We were pretty warm by noon. 
I took a picture of the ceremony, which was attended by about 15 immediate family members. It was such a nice service, and Peter's grandpa Ed and his new wife Jean looked great!
We took a few pictures after the service and then had some brunch before exploring the ranch a bit. 
There were a couple rescue donkeys on the ranch and they came right over to us when called. So cute! This place got me dreaming of the farm I'd love to own someday, which Peter isn't exactly on board with....yet! He's convinced I would play with the animals and he would get stuck doing all the non-fun barn chores. This is probably true.
We drove up one of the hills and got a great view of the ranch. It was pretty much the perfect venue for a fall wedding, complete with a large renovated barn (for weddings and other events) that I didn't take a photo of apparently.
On Saturday evening we stayed in San Diego and got a chance to explore the downtown area. We had an awesome Italian dinner in the Little Italy neighborhood followed by gelato, of course.
I had a 6 am flight to catch Sunday morning, so it was a fairly quick trip, but Peter and I definitely enjoyed our first visit to the San Diego area. 

For the first time in years, we don't have a trip on the calendar. We're focusing on getting settled in Austin at the moment, but we do plan to take some weekend trips in the coming months, so stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *