Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Peter's Birthday

This last weekend Peter turned 27! We celebrated the big day by going to a footy match with friends Matt and Lauren. We had planned to go to brunch earlier in the day, but Peter had a cold all last week and was content with just staying in until the game, so the only meal we ended up eating out was at McDonald's just before the game- fancy!
When we first moved here everyone asked which AFL team we were supporting. It's a seriously big deal here in Melbourne, but we had no obvious allegiance given that Southbank (our little area of the city) doesn't have a team. We decided on the Richmond Tigers, as they're decent and not too far from us. Everyone wears their team scarves to the games, so I got Peter one for his birthday.

We had only been to the Melbourne Cricket Ground once before so it was fun to be back. The place apparently holds 100,000 people. 
I took this picture off of snapchat of us waiting for the game to start. It was COLD. probably about 50 degrees, but it was pretty windy and it felt a lot colder than that to us. 
The traditional footy game experience consists of beer and a meat pie for dinner. I don't like beer much, so I left that to Peter, but I did enjoy a meat pie!
Richmond was actually predicted to lose the game to Hawthorn, but they pulled out a win and we got to see a pretty close game. 
Lauren took this picture of Matt, Peter and me toward the end of the game. One thing I like about footy is that it's pretty easy to follow and the time never stops so the game doesn't seem as long. I generally like watching American football, but the games can go on FOREVER; two minutes of play can take a half hour. 

Overall, we had a fun day celebrating and a relaxing weekend. We once again played some virtual golf on Sunday and I'm pretty sure Peter is eager to hit the actual golf course come spring. 
I graduated from moccasins to combat boots, and it didn't help my swing one bit. I even managed to lose a ball...somehow. 

On Thursday, we are ditching the end of winter here in Melbourne for some warmer weather in Brisbane and we can't wait!

2 comments:

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *